This help article explains the third step of adding action to a rule. Once you have selected the trigger event and set the condition, you have add the action that proceed the event.
Step 3 – Adding Actions to the Rule
1. Click Add Actions to add more actions in this step.
2. Select the required action type from the Action drop-down list to determine the way in which the notifications are to be sent. The following action types are available:
- Send Email
- Create Task
- Add Activity
- Add To List
- Update Lead Fields
- Tag Lead
- Star Lead
- Unstar Lead
- Call Webhook
The Execute After action allows you to specify the time period after which the selected action is executed. You can mention the time period in minute(s), hour(s) and day(s).
Each action type is explained in detail below:
- Select this, if you want the notifications to be sent through email.
- From the Action Type drop-down list, select Send Email.
- Click Edit against Provide Email Content. The Provide Email Content pop-up is displayed.
- Complete the following details:
- From: Enter the sender email address. This should be a valid email address of a LeadSquared user.
- To: Enter the required recipient email address.
- Subject: Enter the subject for the email notification.
- Mail Merge Fields: Select the required lead attribute to add the required attribute to the email content.
- Create Lead Link: Highlight the text in the email body to link the lead details and click Create Lead Link.
- Click Test, if you want to send a test email to see if the email notification is working.
Note: Using Test email, mail merge does not function.
- Click Save. You will be redirected to the Create Rule pop-up box.
- Click Provide Additional Details. The Create Rule – Provide rule name and description box is displayed.
If selected, this action type allows you to add a task for the corresponding lead. This action type is only available, if the Event Type in Step 1 is a lead related event. To do this:
- From the Action Type drop-down list, select Create Task.
- Click Edit against Provide Task Configuration. The Create Follow-Up Task pop-up box appears.
- Enter the required details. For more information on creating follow up task, refer to How to create Tasks and schedule Reminders?
The schedule field allows you to schedule the task after the Rule Execution Time (the time period when the rule is executed). The task is sent after the time period you specify in minute(s), hour(s) or day(s).
It also allows you to schedule the task, before or after a custom date value. The task is sent before or after the time period you specify.
Allows you to add a custom activity. Click Add Activity and the Provide Activity Configuration pop-up box appears:
Select the required custom activity type from the drop-down list.
You can additionally add mail merge field to the selected activity type. Please see the below images for reference.
Add To List
If selected, this action type allows you to add the lead to a list. You can also create a list while providing the list configuration. To do this:
- From the Action Type drop-down list, select Add To List.
- Click Edit against Provide List Configuration. The Provide List Configuration pop-up box appears.
- From the List Name drop-down list, select <Create new list>, if you want to create a new list and set the configuration. Else, select the required list available from the drop-down list.
- Click Save.
Update Lead Fields
This action type allows you to update lead field values of the required lead fields. The field values are updated when the rule is executed.
Example: If the Lead Field ‘City’ is given the value New York, ‘City’ is updated with this value when the rule is executed.
- From the Action Type drop-down list, select Update Lead Fields.
- Click Edit against Provide Lead Update Configuration. The Provide Update Lead Fields Configuration pop-up box appears.
- Select the required lead field and specify the lead field value. Click Save.
If selected, this action type allows to add a tag to the corresponding lead. To do this:
- From the Action Type drop-down list, select Tag Lead.
- Click Edit against Provide Tag Configuration. The Provide Tag Lead Configuration pop-up box appears.
- Add the required lead tags here and click Save.
If selected, this action type allows you to mark the lead with a star to highlight and discover them easily. For more information on marking your lead with star, refer to ‘Star’ your Leads.
To do this:
- From the Action Type drop-down list, select Star Lead.
If selected, this action type allows you to unmark the lead with a star. To do this:
- From the Action Type drop-down list, select Unstar Lead.
Select this, if you want to send the data through webhooks.
Note: Webhooks are HTTP or HTTPS callback requests sent to a URL of your choice in response to some event occurring. They offer simple and effective, server to server communication without long running connections. For more information on Webhooks, refer to Webhooks.
- From the Action Type drop-down list, select Call Webhook.
- Click Edit against Provide Webhook Configuration. The Provide Webhook Configuration pop-up appears.
- Enter the webhook URL in the URL field and click Verify.
- Select the required webhook content type from the Content Type drop-down list.
- Click Save.
A sample Webhook URL with Mail-Merge tags is given below: