You can track opens events of Emails sent using LeadSquared Email in Google Analytics. You can do this by specifying a GET request in an HTML image tag in the Email body. This request sends the Email data to Google Analytics when the Email tries to fetch the image from the HTML tag.
This can be achieved by following the below steps:
Step 01: Create a new custom metric in the Google Analytics admin interface
Create a new custom metric in the Google Analytics admin interface for your Web Property. To do this:
- Log on to Google Analytics using your credentials and click Admin in the top-right corner.
- Select the corresponding Account and Web Property, and click Custom Definitions -> Custom Metrics under Property column. The below pop-up box appears in the right side of the Admin tab.
- Click NEW CUSTOM METRIC. The Add Custom Metric pop-up box appears.
- Enter the required name and enter the remaining settings as shown in the image above (recommended) and click Create.
Step 02: Creating the Email Campaign
To create an Email Campaign:
- From the default LeadSquared Dashboard, go to Marketing-> Email Campaign and click Create Email Campaign. The Create Email Campaign wizard appears. For more information on how to create Email Campaign, refer to How to Create and Schedule Email Campaigns?.
- Select the required template and proceed to Step 02 Compose Message.
- Drag-drop an HTML block to the Email body (preferably at the bottom of the Email body) and click the HTML block to edit the HTML content through Content Properties on the right side.
- Enter the following content in the Content Properties box:
<img src=”http://www.google-analytics.com/collect?v=1&tid=UA-XXXXXXX-YY&cid=*|UNIQID|*&t=event&ec=email&ea=open&el=*|UNIQID|*&cs=newsletter&cm=email&cn=062413&cm1=1″ />
The parameters in the HTML block is explained in the table below:
|Parameter Name||Parameter Value||Description|
|v||1||Protocol Version (required)|
|tid||UA-XXXXXX-YY||Tracking ID / Web Property ID (required)|
|cid||*|UNIQID|*||Client ID (required). This anonymously identifies a particular user, device, or browser. The value – *|UNIQID|*- is a dynamic parameter (merge tag).|
|t||event||Hit type (required). The tracking is done with event tracking.|
|cm1||1||Custom Metric 1|
Note: The HTML block with the above image tag is hidden from the Email recipient.
- Complete the remaining steps of the Email Campaign Wizard.
When an Email is opened, the Email Open is recorded as a Metric in the Event Tracking Reports of Google Analytics.