A custom object is a group of fields that can be used as a field type in an activity. For example, you can create custom objects for –
- KYC Documents – with fields Passport, PAN Card, Aadhar Card, Address Proof
- Education Qualifications – with fields College, Degree, Year, Grade
- Business Address – with fields House Number, Street, City, Zip, State, Country
Once you create a custom object, you can add it as the field type for an activity.
Note: All files you upload through custom object fields are stored securely in the LeadSquared Amazon S3 account and are not publicly available.
Example Use Case
Let’s look at a use case where your field sales agents go to collect KYC documents from leads.
- Create a custom object called ‘KYC Documents’
- Include file type fields of say Passport, PAN Card, Aadhar Card, Address Proof and save.
- Create an activity called ‘KYC Document Collection’
- Add a field in the ‘KYC Document Collection’ activity. Select the field type as the ‘KYC Documents’ custom object.
So now, the next time your field sales agent is collecting documents, he can seamlessly upload these directly to the ‘KYC Document Collection’ activity itself, as they’ve been included in the custom object type field of this activity.
Create a Custom Object
- Navigate to My Profile>Settings>Customization>Custom Objects, then click Create.
- Enter a Name and Description (optional) and click the Activity Integration checkbox (this will enable you to use the custom object as a field type in an activity). Click Next.
- Now configure the fields you want the custom object to contain. Click Add File Field. Click the settingsicon to configure the Max File Size in MB (maximum permitted limit is 10) and the File Type. Click Save.
You can also mark fields as mandatory by clicking the checkbox alongside each field.
- Now design the layout of the custom object. Drag and drop fields to re-order or hide them.
- Click Next.
Your new custom object will now be visible in the grid. To make changes to a custom object, click the settingsicon, then click Edit.
Note: Currently, you can only create file type fields in custom objects. Other data types will be available soon.
The file types supported are as follows –
|Any Documents or Images||png,jpg,jpeg,bmp,pdf,doc,docx|
|Custom||‘ade, adp, bat, chm, cmd, com, cpl, exe, hta, ins, isp, jse, lib, mde, msc, msp, mst, pif, scr, sct, shb, sys, vb, vbe, vbs, vxd, wsc, wsf, wsh’ are Not Permitted.|
Associate a Custom Object with an Activity
Once you’ve created a custom object, you can add it as the data type for a field in any custom activity.
- Navigate to My Profile>Settings>Customization>Custom Activities and Scores.
- Click the Editicon alongside an activity (you can also follow the same steps while creating a new activity).
- On the Update Custom Activity Type pop-up, click Next to navigate to step 2 of 3.
- Create a new field, or edit an existing one. Click the drop-down under the Type column alongside the field you want to associate the custom object to, then select a custom object.
- Click the Settingsicon to edit the custom object. Click Next when you’re done.
Note: Edits you make to a custom object from here will not apply to the actual custom object template you created. The edits will only apply to how the custom object behaves with respect to this activity field.
- Drag and drop the custom object to change it’s order or positioning on your create/edit activity forms.
- Click Save.
The custom object will now be available in the create/edit activity forms for that particular activity.
- For now, only file type fields can be created in custom objects.
- Uploading files to custom objects is currently allowed only from mobile.
- The status field cannot be removed from a custom object. You can change the value of the status field from Pending to Approved or vice-versa while creating/editing an activity from the web app.
- You cannot delete custom objects at the moment.
Did you find the content in this article helpful? Feel free to leave doubts/questions in the comment section below. We’ll get back to you as soon as possible.